Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"So, I was on Facebook the other day..."

Don't you hate it a little bit when a sentence starts out with a reference to Facebook, or some other social-networking vehicle? Not that they're all bad or anything. It's more the idea of a substitute for conversation forcing its way into an actual conversation. Maybe I am weird.

And yes, I see the irony in my writing this on a blog.

So, I was on Facebook the other day, and I said something about February being the most eclectic month for live music in our short--but awesome!--history. I kind of thought I was just saying that. You know, trying to tantalize people into really looking at the concert calendar. But the more I think about it, I was totally right about that. (It's not often I get to say that, so I am going to relish it.) I mean, check this out:

Feb. 5 - Zacharias Flynn - Zach plays virtually every instrument known to man. For this show, he will be performing a completely improvised instrumental set with several instruments to achieve what I can only hope will be a reasonable facsimile of (or companion piece to) his fantastic, self-made album, Irresolute Insight. It doesn't get anymore abstract than this, but all that considered, I think you'll be surprised at his amazing sense for melody and song structure.

Feb. 6 - The Juke Bones - Like Zach, this act hails from Renton. And that is pretty much where the similarities end. The Juke Bones are one drumkit, one guitar, lots of volume, and buckets of attitude. The members are veterans of plenty of other bands and artistic projects, not the least of which include the band Sugar Farm and the short film series The Finger of God. The music is a wall of Blues infused with a heavy dose of punk rock. Guaranteed that attendance at this show will give you at least one good story that you can tell people who weren't here.

Feb. 13 - Devin Moore - From the shadow of Maple Valley, by way of the wide expanses of Eastern WA, comes the uniquely clever and delicate voice of Devin Moore. An accomplished guitarist and songwriter, Devin has been playing and performing since before she knew she had a choice, and it suits her just fine. She makes tiny inner monologues into larger-than-life love songs, and she is destined for big things. We are just happy to have found her while she was still playing for free.

Feb. 21 - Post Harbor - Do you like post-rock? This band does it like no other. Less riff-y than Kinski, more accessible than Mogwai, "rock"-ier than Explosions in the Sky, this Seattle band is a very well-kept secret. I don't think that will last. On Feb. 10, they drop their new album They can't hurt you if you don't believe in them. It is a piece of music that gets more engaging and addictive with each listen. They will bring their epic songs into our humble abode, and you should really consider being here when they do.

Long story short: we really do have something for everyone this month, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

I hope some of you are, too.

roar,
--TRx

1 comment: