Friday, December 18, 2009

Upcoming releases that I am uber-excited about


And when I say uber, I mean uber. It's not a pre-fix I use lightly.



Spoon: Transference -- Recently named the Metacritic (a site that culls weighted averages from top reviewers: http://features.metacritic.com/features/2009/best-music-of-the-decade/) Top Artist of the Decade, based on the reviews garnered by their four releases over the past 9 years, the Austin quartet seems poised to kick the next decade right in the pants by releasing their next studio offering just 25 days after it starts. I am not alone in having high hopes for this one. Prepare yourself for the awesomeness here: http://www.mergerecords.com/transference/


Jonsi: Go -- After a busy couple of years releasing not one but two albums (með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust with primary band Sigur Ros, and Riceboy Sleeps with side project Jonsi and Alex) the Great Icelandic Hope returns in March, 2010 with a solo effort that might just turn out to be fan-freaking-tastic. I was only mildly excited for this until I heard the first single, "Boy Lillikoi", which plays like several rushes of increasingly cool and pleasant rose-scented air on a warm day, and may just have the single most cohesive use of percussion I have ever heard. If you don't mind signing up for updates, you can download it for free here: http://www.jonsi.com/. I highly recommend that you do.


Phantogram: Eyelid Movies -- One of local favorite Barsuk's newest signings is set to drop a bomb in February! This band really has to be heard to be believed. I've heard them, and I am still not sure I believe it. Even if the quality of this release doesn't measure up to others by the end of 2010, it is sure to be one of the most interesting and creative albums of the year. If you want to geek out over it the way I have, you can do so here: http://www.barsuk.com/shop/bark094


Beach House: Teen Dream -- Arguably Sub Pop's biggest (or perhaps smartest) signings of 2008, Beach House make sublime noise with traces of coastal sunshine. They have been busy touring since their last release, and somehow finding time for awesome collaborations in the meantime. I give you the TRx Guarantee that this will be in the running for Album of 2010. Read (and Listen!) all about it right...over...here: http://www.subpop.com/releases/beach_house/full_lengths/teen_dream


Field Music: Field Music (Measure) -- Sometimes a hiatus only proves that talent can grow stale. Not in the case of this British band. Using a Beatles-singing-over-The-Human-League aesthetic and turning in extremely solid songwriting throughout, this is sure to be an extremely satisfying listen. And it's a Double LP! In this age of the iTune, who isn't ready for a good old-fashioned double-album? I know I am. You can preview it here, should you so desire: http://memphis.greedbag.com/buy/field-music-measure/



So, that's five. There are probably at least another 50 or so that I could write about. How about I just stop here for now, eh? Ooooh! Here's an idea: why don't you comment with the releases you are most looking forward to? Well? What are you waiting for?!


(Sooner or) Later,


--TRx

No comments:

Post a Comment