Sunday, December 27, 2009

Has it really been a week?

So I made a deal with myself when I started this whole "blog"-thing that I would try to post something new at least once a week. Holidays or no, I am here to do just that. But this one will have to be rather on the short side, as the end of the year is typically more filled with family time than new indie music.

I'm looking forward to January, as we begin our first full year in operation. Things should start off nicely with no less than 3 performances already booked for the first month of the year (Laura Jorgensen on January 8th at 8pm - www.myspace.com/laurajorgensen - Young Lions on January 9th at ??pm [still working on nailing down a time for this one, and a website...] - Cock and Swan on January 23rd at 5pm - www.myspace.com/cockandswan -). All of them should be stellar, and many more equally exciting opportunities to catch some live music in DTR should be forthcoming in February.

I've been listening to a lot of Zacharias Flynn's new CD (available here, of course) Irresolute Insight. You can check it out here: www.myspace.com/drzacharias. And I am even more excited that he is a Renton local. He clearly has his head in the clouds, judging by the daydreamy and somewhat random quality of this music--but for a musician, that is not always a bad thing...

Another new thing I have been digging is ProGrammar's latest, Somaphone 4: Heartbreak, which reimagines old pop songs (themed around heartbreak, naturally) with the only instrument being the human voice (specifically, one human voice: that of ProGrammar himself). He is online at www.programmar.net, and the CD is available for your listening pleasure at TRx. Check out the cover of Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry," or The Moody Blues' "Your Wildest Dreams", and then remind yourself that all those sounds are made by one guy singing and beatboxing. Now try not to be amazed. I dare you. ; )

So now I am closing up shop. Getting ready to start thinking about my New Years' Resolutions. Upcoming blog-post perhaps?

(yeah, that's called foreshadowing...)

--TRx

No comments:

Post a Comment