Thursday, July 9, 2009

I'm thinking of a song by Belly, circa 1995...

I met with Jane from the band Nancy Frieko this morning. We had a nice long chat about music, and the scene, the Seattle scene, the nature of scenes in general...and many other things. It got me thinking a little about the way everything bleeds into everything else.

I'll attempt an explanation:

I got super serious about this whole music store idea earlier this year partly as a result of a night spent at an extremely intimate show held in a garage in the suburbs. So many people in such a relatively small space, all feeling pretty much the same thing as a result of the music...the music brought everyone there a little closer together for those few hours, if only because of the shared experience. I came away from that evening deciding that I needed to find a way to facilitate just that sort of interconnectedness through music (in some way, on some level), and that if I could find a way to do it, I could be happy doing it forever. And TRx was born...in my head.

So, as Jane and I spent an hour talking about similar musical experiences (Liberty Hall!!) and matters of taste, I got to thinking about how we were being brought together--indirectly by my experience discussed above and the resulting actions on my part, and only slightly less indirectly by her music. We had been brought together by one thing that, for all intents and purposes of the two of us sitting in a diner, only existed in my mind; and another thing--her music--that only existed as an idea, in that it wasn't playing at the time.

All these intangible things, begetting tangible things...it's eerie.

And without it all--the experiences, the connectedness, the music--I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to meet all the amazing people I have met so far, nor the many amazing people I have yet to meet.

...all these intangible things, everything bleeding into everything else.

And thank you, everyone, for being so awesome.

--n
TRx
PS: Big thanks to Ms. Lynar for hooking us up with our very first press at All About Renton! If I were more savvy, this is where I would have a link set up for you to click so you could check it out. Sadly, I'm not. Google it!
**BTW, if you're still reading way down here, the Belly song alluded-to above is called "Superconnected". And, yes, the title to this blog IS unforgivably lame.

1 comment:

  1. Really looking forward to having that musical intimacy right here in the DTR - bring it! But you are hurting the Picaroon's feelins' a wee bit - we blogged about you on 6/8 and 6/22 already!

    ReplyDelete