Friday, April 2, 2010

Ununseptium


What is Ununseptium?

Well, the short answer is, no one really knows. The name itself is just a placeholder, derived from the number 117 (Un=1, un=1, sept=7). It refers to an element on the periodic table, the 117th element to be specific. The scientific community at-large generally accepts the existence of this element, because without it, the rest of the table (i.e. the building blocks of all matter on earth) would need to be fundamentally re-thought. But, and this is a big "but", no one has ever observed it or been able to verify its existence scientifically.

Therefore, it is the undiscovered element. It is a basic component of the planet, and it is undiscovered.

I am in love with this idea. The idea that something so important can be undiscovered. And following the line of logic tells us that something can be "known", but not "seen". Something amazing can be right in front of our faces, and simply unable to be acknowledged.

Indie culture is like this. It is a necessary and vital extension of human art and expression, but without vast networks and hype machines to put it in front of peoples' faces or in their headphones or on their TV's or internet sites, it can be undiscovered even though it is in plain sight.

With this in mind, Tyrannosaurus Records is proud to be a part of something big. We are partnering with Happy Delusions, Harambee, Spotlight Dance Company, The Upper Room and other downtown Renton benefactors to put on UNDISCOVERED: a music show, indie craft fair, mini-festival and all-around good time in DTR, which is itself somewhat undiscovered.

Music: See Me River, Cock and Swan, The Young Lions, more TBD

Crafts: 35 indie crafters and all the DIY awesomeness you can handle in one room

Dance: Spotlight Dance Company, local breakdancers

There will be independence. There will be art.


We hope you will join us on May 15th at Harambee in Renton. When the last note is played and the curtain comes down, a whole heck of a lot of amazing local indie flavor will be just a little bit less undiscovered.

We will see you there...

Roar--
TRx

7 comments:

  1. Dude, awesome post. Sounds like this could be a really awesome show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps~my word scramble to post this comment was "Ale Art" how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ale art, indeed! I could go for an ale...

    For whatever reason, I forgot to mention in the post that we are going to donate to Childhood Cancer Sucks as well! Have you to thank for that! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Look what you've done to me, I'm turning into a teenage girl over this. It means a lot to me that you'd donate to CCS holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I discovered Ununseptium in the back of my fridge! I'm so looking forward to the show. I'm starting to spread the word on my end. If you get posters made, let me know so I can post the image EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As of yesterday, Russian Scientists have been able to create and observe six atoms of Uus by combining Berkelium and Calcium. Pretty sweet, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I heard that too. Or actually it was some Scandinavian scientists back in January (who can keep track of these things?!). But until they give 117 a name, it is still undiscovered. And even after, the theme still resonates... Er, I hope it does.

    ReplyDelete